top of page
  • _

Pets and Chocolate Candy

Should My Dog Have Chocolate?



Chocolate is toxic to dogs and depending on the type and amount of chocolate consumed and the weight of your dog, it could cause a serious medical emegency. If your dog ate a small amount of milk chocolate, you don't necessarily need to panic.


Why Chocolate is Toxic To Dogs

Chocolate contains both theobromine and caffeine, both which can speed the heart rate and stimulate the nervous system of dogs. The risk of your dog becoming sick from ingesting chocolate depends on the type and amount of chocolate consumed and the weight of the dog.

Here are a few types of chocolate listed in order of theobromine content:

1. CoCoa powder (most toxic)

2. Unsweetend Baker's Chocolate 

3. Semisweet Chocolate

4. Dark Chocolate

5. Milk Chocolate

6.White Chocolate ( not very toxic)


What are the signs of Chocolate Poisoning?


Signs of chocolate poisoning usually appear within 6 to 12 hours after your dog has eaten it, may last up to 72 hours, and include the following:

1. Vomiting

2. Diarrhea

3. Restlessness

4. Increased Urination

5.Tremors

6. Elevated or abnormal heart rate

7. Seizures

8. Collapse and Death


If you believe your dog ate chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately and or call the Pet Poison Control Helpline


(855-213-6680) for advise.

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Fleas got you ticked?

Summer heat has you beat! Protect your pets from fleas and ticks with Bravecto.

Superfoods for Pets: Fish Oil

This article taken from petnet...... Fish oil is a common supplement owners add to their pet’s food, and with good reason. In both cats and dogs, fish oil promotes a healthy heart, strong joints, clea

コメント


bottom of page